Finished! Look at my lovely new skirt 🙂
I made this skirt following the Picnic Blanket Skirt tutorial on Tilly and the Buttons. It comes in three parts: one, two, and three. The tutorials are great – everything is explained really well so you can just get on with the project. And, thank goodness, Tilly had worked out the mathematical formula, so I didn’t have to!
I did do a couple of things differently. I changed the method for gathering, as my fabric was quite thick (see here), and I attached my waistband in one piece rather than sewing two pieces together (more out of laziness than for any other reason).
I do have a confession to make. My buttons are not actually functional. In the end, I left them on purely for show. I discovered that I would need to sew my button holes over the inside line of stitching on my placket in order to make my pattern match up. Not only did I worry the this would ruin the look of the skirt, but I also would have had to cut through that line of stitching, and the last thing I wanted was for the whole thing to unravel on me! So, Dan suggested that I just sew the buttons on for effect. The bottom four buttons are sewn onto both layers of the placket, and the top three are sewn through just the front. I’ve added a hook and bar underneath the button on the waistband and some snap fasteners underneath the next two buttons, so I can just step in and out of my skirt. My pattern matches quite well, and I’m really pleased with how the skirt has turned out.
And it’s perfect for a kick-about in the garden with your nephew, apparently…
I like that I’m learning to adapt patterns if I want or need to as I go. My next project is a dress (another Tilly pattern, I’ve become slightly obsessed with Tilly), which I know will need adapting a lot, so the more practice I get in the better. In the wise words of Monty Python, “Adopt, adapt and improve.” (“Just a pair of knickers then, please.” Ooh, I can’t wait to make some knickers!)