Back in September, I was invited by Pretty Grievances to take part in Jungle January, thanks to my cave girl costumes. Jungle January is an event in which participants are encouraged to make things from animal print fabric. Now, honestly, I would be lying if I said animal print is something I would ordinarily go for – I just don’t suit it. So I had to put a fair amount of thought into what I would make, and after much deliberation I landed on pyjama bottoms.
“Cruella De Vil, Cruella De Vil…”
Anyone else now really in the mood for 101 Dalmatians? Anyway…
The pattern was super easy to follow – a very good project for beginners, I’d say. They went together in no time! I added side seam pockets – in case you haven’t already noticed, I’m obsessed with pockets – and used red ribbon for my cord (because I couldn’t be bothered to make my own).
The hardest part? Sewing a rectangle around my drawstring opening to reinforce the hole. That rectangle you can see in the picture there. All I had to do was sew a neat rectangle around that slit. Sounds pretty easy, right? Wrong! Turns out sewing a precise rectangle is not something I can achieve without tearing my hair out (yet!). I gave up after attempt number eight and settled for a rectangle that I’m still only sort of happy with. Ho-hum. They’re wearable and that’s what’s important.
You can never have too many pyjama bottoms!
Incidentally, I’ve been having a bit of a Dalmatian themed time recently. We made Dalmatian biscuits with our Brownies the other week. And while we were on our Brownies sleepover last weekend, one of our Brownies celebrated her eighth birthday with these amazing cakes made by her very talented mum.
Aaaannnd… We even attempted a bit of sewing with our Brownies and Guides this weekend! We made finger puppets with felt and all sorts of embellishments. Sewing with kids – what fun!