Hello, Sailor!

I love anything that has a bit of a nautical twist, so I’ve been dying to make the nautical Delphine skirt from Tilly Walnes’ Love at First Stitch for ages.  Pretty much since I got the book.  And I finally have one 😀

Forgive the lumps and bumps in these photos – I’d been wearing my skirt around the Living North Live fair all day before they were taken, so it’s not sitting as nicely as I’d like.

I’m sooooo happy with this skirt.  I think it’s the most wearable garment I’ve made so far.  I do wear my other stuff sometimes, but I’ve worn a lot since making it.  I think I’ve managed to put it together quite well too, which means I’m happier wearing it – I don’t think the sewing on most of my other garments has been quite as well executed.  And despite the lumpiness going on in these photos, it does fit me nicely.  It went together without any incidents at all.  I even plucked up the courage to use a contrast fabric for the waistband facing, take a couple of inches off the length, add some buttons (for nautical flair!) on the front, and add patch pockets (for sweets) on the back.  The fabric is indigo cotton canvas (which is more like navy) from Plush Addict.  The buttons came from Textile Garden.  I love them!  They’re old-looking and all wonky and interesting.  I’m just in love with my new skirt 😀  And it made it into Tilly’s blog this week – how exciting!

I did make another Delphine months ago but I kept forgetting to share it with you.  I made this one out of the leftover Red Riding Hood fabric from my Megan dress.  The whole point was to use the leftovers to make a wearable toile, as practice for future Delphines.  It worked, I think I only had about 70 centimetres left and I just (only just) got my fabric pieces cut out of it, but it meant I couldn’t worry at all about how the pattern fell.  But it’s wearable.  I’m still debating whether to take some of the length off this one.  When I made it I wasn’t brave enough to take any length off unsupervised, so it falls pretty much right on my knee (because I have tiny weeny legs).  Although I don’t dislike the look of the skirt, I do wonder whether it would look better if it were a couple of inches shorter.  What I did pluck up the courage to do was add side seam pockets and a lining (because the fabric turned out to be a tad see-through).  Thinking back, I’m sure both lining the skirt and adding pockets were harder than taking some length off the skirt, so who knows what my thinking was there… I’m sure it made sense in my tiny brain at the time.  I used Tilly’s tutorial on sewing a skirt lining.  The instructions were really easy to follow, and I have a neat-ish lining – not bad for a first attempt.  I just got the lining fabric from my local market.  I really pleased I didn’t just let the fabric go to waste!

So, I have two Delphiine skirts that are completely different!  I can picture myself using this pattern a lot.

The Windmill

A few weeks ago we stayed in a windmill for my friend Helen’s hen weekend. A windmill. A windmill! 😀 😀 😀 Lots of fun was had.  The windmill is in Crosby, and it is amazing! I could quite fancy myself living in one. I would highly recommend a stay, especially if you’re in a large group. You can find all the details here, and we got some photos.

There was loads of relaxing downtime – pampering, champagne, food, the seaside… Aaah, that’s the life.

And there was lots of hilarious silliness. Surprise Doctor Who party, anyone? Including the most amazing surprise TARDIS costume for Helen, who looked a-maze-ing! And we have to give a shout out to Cat, who spent all night in that Dalek costume.  And of course, there was obligatory game-playing. SingStar, and Cards Against Humanity (not for the faint of heart!).

We even had some time to get a bit creative. We made bracelets, painted shot glasses, made a Pin the ‘Tache on the Darrin game (Darrin is the groom, and he has a spectacular moustache!), and I found time to do a bit of my Attic 24 Cosy Stripe blanket.  I didn’t do any sewing (obviously), but Rachel and I did coincidentally take identical PJs.  Well, not identical, but we used the same pattern to make them – the Margot PJs pattern from Tilly Walnes’ Love at First Stitch.

So much fun in a really lovely setting! Exactly my kind of hen weekend.  Thanks to all involved for such a fun time 😀

And next week, Helen and Darrin will be married!  Huge congratulations to you both, we’re over the moon for you!

Oops!

Just when you think things are coming along nicely, this happens!

IMG_5530

This is the result of me getting too overexcited with a seam ripper  😦  Unfortunately it’s right on the centre front of my bodice.  You know that beautiful bodice pieces I made last week?  Yep?  The front is ruined!

Well, I’m being a bit dramatic – it is fixable, but I’m still really angry at myself.

Rather than starting the whole front bodice again (which, for a few horrifying moments, is exactly what I thought I’d have to do!) I’m just going to move it up a few millimetres to cover the hole.  This may not work with all patterns, but we had a go at pinning the waistband a bit higher to see how it looked, and we don’t think it will alter the look of the dress.  I’m just relieved that I managed to put a hole right on the seam line rather than in the middle of nowhere, otherwise I’d be doing lots of unpicking and more cutting out.  Thank goodness for a few millimetres of wiggle room.