When I was raking through my fabric stash last weekend, it occurred to me that I’ve never made a top. So I fished out all of my top patterns and suitable fabrics and eventually landed on the lovely Sew Over It Silk Cami.
I love my new top! I will probably wear it tucked into skirts more than I will wear it ‘out’ like this, but I’ll definitely get a lot of use out of it. 😀
It was really easy to construct, with only four pattern pieces and no darts, buttons or zips. Plus, I learned two very exciting new techniques whilst making this top. Firstly, I learned how to sew an all on one neckline and armhole facing. This was magical! I couldn’t believe it actually worked. I watched the Sew Over It YouTube video tutorial – brilliantly helpful. You end up with lovely straps with all your messy seams tucked nicely on the inside of your top. It’s my new favourite technique – I’ll definitely use this for any other sleeveless garments I make. It’s incredible!
Secondly, since I was using a slippery, flimsy fabric, I plucked up the courage to try out my rolled hem foot. I used all the scraps I had to practice on, making sure I tried it on some curves as well as straight edges. It worked! I have a couple of wobbly bits (on the back, thankfully), but I think it looks just as neat as if I’d hemmed it another way.
While we’re talking about the fabric, I can’t stress strongly enough how much of a challenge the fabric was. I do not care for slippery fabrics at all. This fabric objected to everything! I almost gave up at the cutting stage, to be honest. I would get it laid out exactly flat, and then somebody would breathe and it would move. I’d lie it flat again and by the time I’d go to lay my pattern piece down it would have moved – again! It didn’t like being cut or pressed or pinned (so I decided not to use French seams as the pattern suggests, just to make my life easier). Honestly, the only stressful part of this project was the fabric. And I have some of this stuff in purple – it might take me a while to pluck up the courage to make something with that. I wonder if this top would work in a lawn or something?
I got this lovely (to look at!), floaty, emerald green stuff from Simply Fabrics in Wallsend. It is pretty much emerald green, I would say, but the colour hasn’t come out very well on a lot of the photos. I don’t actually know what fabric it is. It’s a sort of mottled design of emerald and slightly lighter shades of green. It was one of the bargain bin fabrics I picked up a while back – I think it only cost me a pound! Practically a giveaway. I ended up with just shy of a metre, which turned out to be just enough for the Silk Cami pattern. I did have to split my back piece in half (instead of cutting on the fold) and add a back seam in order to get all of my pattern pieces cut, which is a shame. The back seam went a bit rippled because my sewing machine didn’t get along with the fabric as well as I’d have liked. However, this is the first time I’ve made it and it and it’s a very wearable toile 🙂 It will be lovely and light for my holiday later this year.
By the way, these photos were taken on an extremely windy dog walk, so I apologise for my appearance. I’m just thankful I got a few snaps that didn’t look quite as bad as this!