Let’s talk about leggings. I must confess, I’m not a leggings wearer. Not because I don’t like them, but because I rather feel my thighs aren’t quite slim enough. If I wear leggings I wear them under dresses in place of tights. Or because I’m doing exercise. I wouldn’t wear leggings as trousers. I hate the idea of making something I wouldn’t wear – that seems very wasteful to me. I was so convinced February’s pattern pick wouldn’t suit me that I made it for mt friend Rachel. So when I saw this pattern for #SewMyStyle, I said to my sister that I’d either have to make boring black leggings or completely whacky dog-walking leggings, otherwise I just wouldn’t wear them. And who wants to make boring black leggings? Not me! Not us! We made matching marble leggings 😀
Megan Nielsen’s Virginia leggings. I was really surprised at how easy these were to make! I don’t know why, but I had always assumed the would be tricky to sew. But there are only two pattern pieces for these Virginia leggings – the leg (of which you cut two) and the waistband. The instructions are really easy to follow, and the construction couldn’t be easier. I traced off my pattern, cut my fabric and sewed these in less than three hours! Perfect for my hectic lifestyle – I don’t get much free time to sew these days, so quick projects are all the more satisfying.
An amazing marble print scuba from Fabric Styles. It was really easy to work with, and I will most definitely be using scuba again. I actually bought more of this fabric – I think a Tilly and the Buttons Zadie dress in this fabric, and black side panels would be perfect! My sister’s fabric is also still available.
The fabric was £4.50 per metre, and I used just over a metre, so let’s say around £6. The PDF pattern was £8 once coverted from Australian dollars, including the Sew My Style discount. That’s £14 for my uber-cool marble leggings 😀
Have you ever ended up with a fabric and had no idea what you’re going to make out of it? I’m sure you understand. This was one of those fabrics for me. I was completely dazzled b the sparkles. Like a niffler! I wanted the sparkles, but I had no clue what to do with them. Then came the #MonetaParty on Instagram, organised by the Triple Stitchers (sewpositivity, sewabigail and rach_wain) and Colette Patterns. I wasn’t initially sure I’d have time to take part, but then I saw Abi’s sparkly Moneta and knew I had to make my own!
Moneta by Colette Patterns, of course. It was third time lucky for me and Colette Patterns, having tried and failed to make a pair of Juniper trousers and a Macaron dress and having rather a a traumatic time of it for both projects. Moneta, on the other hand, was super easy and I love it! The instructions were easy to follow and the construction is really simple. I think I probably sewed it in about three hours.
I swapped out the gathers for pleats, because I thought it would give the dress a smarter look. I put inverted box pleats where the notches on the front and back skirt are. I’m surprised at how well they’ve worked on such slinky fabric. I also omitted the pockets, again because I didn’t think they were suited to the style of dress. The most exciting thing though (after having a spangly dress to flounce around in, of course) is that I learned to use a twin needle! I’m a little too excited about this, and now that I’ve cracked it I’ll be a twin needle fiend. Sadly, because I used matching thread (silly me!), nobody can admire my handiwork on this dress, but just wait until I have the chance for contrasting topstitching!
A very slink, very sparkly lurex jersey from the Textile Centre. I was worried my machine would try to eat this fabric, but it actually handled it just fine – nice surprise 🙂
The fabric was an absolute bargain – a grand total of £4.48 for two metres in the Textile Centre January sale. The pattern was about £10, and I already had everything else I needed. Less than £15 for a party dress – win! 😀