I love anything that has a bit of a nautical twist, so I’ve been dying to make the nautical Delphine skirt from Tilly Walnes’ Love at First Stitch for ages. Pretty much since I got the book. And I finally have one 😀
Forgive the lumps and bumps in these photos – I’d been wearing my skirt around the Living North Live fair all day before they were taken, so it’s not sitting as nicely as I’d like.
I’m sooooo happy with this skirt. I think it’s the most wearable garment I’ve made so far. I do wear my other stuff sometimes, but I’ve worn a lot since making it. I think I’ve managed to put it together quite well too, which means I’m happier wearing it – I don’t think the sewing on most of my other garments has been quite as well executed. And despite the lumpiness going on in these photos, it does fit me nicely. It went together without any incidents at all. I even plucked up the courage to use a contrast fabric for the waistband facing, take a couple of inches off the length, add some buttons (for nautical flair!) on the front, and add patch pockets (for sweets) on the back. The fabric is indigo cotton canvas (which is more like navy) from Plush Addict. The buttons came from Textile Garden. I love them! They’re old-looking and all wonky and interesting. I’m just in love with my new skirt 😀 And it made it into Tilly’s blog this week – how exciting!
I did make another Delphine months ago but I kept forgetting to share it with you. I made this one out of the leftover Red Riding Hood fabric from my Megan dress. The whole point was to use the leftovers to make a wearable toile, as practice for future Delphines. It worked, I think I only had about 70 centimetres left and I just (only just) got my fabric pieces cut out of it, but it meant I couldn’t worry at all about how the pattern fell. But it’s wearable. I’m still debating whether to take some of the length off this one. When I made it I wasn’t brave enough to take any length off unsupervised, so it falls pretty much right on my knee (because I have tiny weeny legs). Although I don’t dislike the look of the skirt, I do wonder whether it would look better if it were a couple of inches shorter. What I did pluck up the courage to do was add side seam pockets and a lining (because the fabric turned out to be a tad see-through). Thinking back, I’m sure both lining the skirt and adding pockets were harder than taking some length off the skirt, so who knows what my thinking was there… I’m sure it made sense in my tiny brain at the time. I used Tilly’s tutorial on sewing a skirt lining. The instructions were really easy to follow, and I have a neat-ish lining – not bad for a first attempt. I just got the lining fabric from my local market. I really pleased I didn’t just let the fabric go to waste!
So, I have two Delphiine skirts that are completely different! I can picture myself using this pattern a lot.